One of the fertility problems or infertility in men generally occurs to low sperm production. About half of the infertility problems married couples face are caused by this. You can get around this by maintaining a nutritious diet, especially food sources rich in zinc. Is it true that the benefits of zinc are for this one man? Check out the following reviews.
What is zinc?
Zinc or zinc is a versatile mineral that is essential for your body. These micronutrients or micronutrients your body needs every day to replenish nutrient intake. In addition, zinc is one of the most important minerals found in the body.
This mineral content has several benefits in helping immune function, enzyme conversion, cell metabolism, and breaking down proteins. Based on the nutritional adequacy rate (RDA), the human body requires an intake of 11 milligrams for adult men and 8 milligrams for adult women.
Is it true that the benefits of zinc are for male fertility?
In addition to the benefits to support the growth and function of the immune system. Zinc has benefits in aspects of the performance of the male reproductive system. A study in the Journal of Reproduction and Infertility explains the benefits of zinc for men by protecting sperm from bacteria. This is thanks to the content of this nutrient as an antibacterial agent in the male reproductive system.
Zinc contains antioxidants that protect sperm from free radicals that can damage cells, and also affect sperm count and testosterone levels. The researchers concluded that men with high levels of zinc, whether smoking or not. Could have better healthy sperm quality than men with lower levels of zinc in the body.
Although zinc is also good for female fertility. The role of this nutrient is more reliable to support male fertility. The addition of zinc intake through certain foods or supplements in infertile men helps increase sperm levels. And improve sperm shape, function, and quality, thereby reducing the chances of infertility in men.
If zinc levels in the male reproductive tract are too low, this condition can lead to several problems such as the following.
- Sperm are not mature. Zinc is very much needed by the body during the formation of sperm cells ( spermatogenesis ), especially the outer membrane and tail of the sperm. Without zinc, sperm cannot reach the sperm maturity level that will give them the mobility and strength to make the long journey through the vagina, cervix, the uterus for fertilization.
- Chromosomal changes. Low levels of zinc can also be the cause of the appearance of chromosomal defects in sperm cells that can cause miscarriage, even if fertilization is in progress.
Choice of food intake rich in zinc
In addition to taking supplements, make sure you eat enough zinc-rich foods each week. Experts recommend eating as many sources of zinc in raw form as possible. This is because the cooking process may reduce the zinc content by at least 50 percent.
To meet your body’s daily needs, there are several choices of food sources that are high in zinc, such as the following.
- Meat. Red meat products, such as beef and mutton, are good sources of zinc intake. This food source is also rich in protein, fat, vitamin B complex, and iron which are good for the body. However, avoid processed meat products, such as sausages, meatballs, and others.
- Oyster. Besides being high in zinc, oysters also contain vitamins and minerals, including selenium and vitamin B12. Make sure you cook the oysters until they are fully cooked to avoid the risk of food poisoning.
- Nuts. As a source of vegetable protein, some types of nuts, such as peanuts, cashews, and almonds are also high in zinc. There is also an intake of other minerals, such as magnesium, phosphorus, copper, and manganese.
- Dairy products. Milk and cheese are two products that contain bioavailable zinc, which means that some of the nutrients are readily available and easy for the body to absorb. Dairy products are also rich in protein, vitamin D, and calcium which are good for bone health.
- Egg. This easy-to-get protein source also contains zinc to meet daily nutritional needs. Eggs are also a good source of other nutrients, such as protein, fat, B-complex vitamins, and selenium.
- Dark chocolate. This type of food is rich in zinc and other minerals, such as iron and magnesium. Dark chocolate that has been through the processing process may be high in sugar content, so you need to pay attention when consuming it.
- Vegetables. Some types of vegetables, such as potatoes, green beans, and kale also contain zinc, although not as much as food sources of animal protein. Even so, the consumption of vegetables is good for the prevention of chronic diseases, such as heart disease and cancer.
Meeting the intake of these foods is quite important. Given the number of benefits of zinc for men’s health. However, if you need special supplements, try to consult a doctor first to determine the dose that suits your needs.